Monday, January 09, 2017

What privilege looks like in Singapore..

Being of Chinese descent in Singapore breeds a particular kind of blindness. We make up 74.6 percent of the city-state's 5.7 million people, so it's no surprise that ethnic Chinese hold significant political and social dominance in Singapore. Growing up, it was easy to take for granted the fact that people who looked like me were represented in popular culture. I never felt the need to question my identity as a Singaporean.

In school, no one made fun of my name. When I was looking for work, my ethnicity was a bonus. Job interviews were a relatively uncomplicated process. Can I speak Mandarin? Yes. Can I work holidays aside from Chinese New Year? Yes.

But like most Chinese Singaporeans, I couldn't see how my success had anything to do with my race. My friends, on the other hand, clearly saw how race affected their lives. Eden, who is part Eurasian, part Indian, was constantly bullied as a child. Kids made fun of his curly hair, his dark skin, and his body hair. Now an adult, Eden still looks back and thinks about how much if affected him.

"Everything that was different about me was measured against the Chinese normal," Eden said. "And I was always treated as if I was falling short of that standard. It affected the very fabric of my being. For the longest time, I believed that there was something inferior about me." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Unwelcome in Singapore, but life-giver to his family in India...
  2. 'No Indians No PRCs': Singapore's rental discrimination problem...
  3. Soccer: Singapore race row after "monkey" taunts at black player...
  4. Singapore TV actress's anti-Indian rant on Facebook provokes anger...
  5. Racial discrimination pervasive in Singapore rental market ...
  6. Singapore curry, foreigners and a curry, curry night...
  7. 3 youths arrested in Singapore for racist Facebook remarks about Indians...

No comments:

Post a Comment