Tuesday, September 06, 2016

'Just pick a proper Japanese': Purists question Miss Japan's Indian heritage...

A half-Indian contestant was crowned Miss Japan on Monday and will represent Japan in the Miss World beauty pageant later this year, although Priyanka Yoshikawa's victory has triggered complaints that a "pure Japanese" did not win.


Ms Yoshikawa - who is 22 and has a qualification in training elephants - was born in Tokyo to an Indian father and Japanese mother and was immediately asked what her victory meant one year after Ariana Miyamoto, another bi-racial contestant, put on the Miss Universe Japan tiara.

"Before Ariana, 'haafu' girls couldn't represent Japan", she told AFP, using the Japanese term for children born to mixed marriages.

"That's what I thought too," she added. "I didn't challenge it until this day. Ariana encouraged me a lot by showing me and showing all mixed girls the way.

"We are Japanese," she said. "Yes, I'm half-Indian and people are asking me about my 'purity'. Yes, my dad is Indian and I'm proud of it. I'm proud that I have Indian in me. But that does not mean I'm not Japanese". Full story...

Related posts:
  1. The "hafu" beauty contest winner making Japan look at itself...
  2. A lot of people are very upset that an Indian-American woman won the...
  3. Black Miss Japan fights for race revolution...
  4. Four Rajinikanth fans from Japan have landed in Chennai to watch their...
  5. The Experiences of a black man in Japan...
  6. Miss Russia shocked over racist vitriol...
  7. China's black pop idol exposes her nation's racism...
  8. Chelsea fans condemned for ‘abhorrent, racist’ chants...

No comments:

Post a Comment