Wednesday, December 09, 2015

"I love my sister"

I met Tom* through his psychotherapist, who is a friend of mine, but he didn't want to meet me personally. He was worried I would judge or insult him. That's how others have reacted when he's told them about himself. He does want to speak about his life though – he says he wants to get the truth off his chest. So we arrange a Skype interview. He turns up in dark sunglasses and a hat to protect his identity. He promises he'll tell me everything, as long as I don't reveal his personal details. If I did, I would be putting his freedom at stake.

Tom's profile picture shows him and his girlfriend, Lena. She hugs him from behind, lovingly kissing him on the neck. He is smiling, twining his fingers in her long, brown hair. Strictly speaking, nothing is wrong with this photo. It shows two people who love each other – a relationship based on mutual attraction.

But Lena is Tom's sister and for most people this changes everything; the photograph actually becomes criminal evidence. "I'm scared of people finding me disgusting," says Tom. He looks away from me and claws at his fingers. He's been in a committed relationship with his sister for twenty years. "There's nothing that I haven't heard before. People have called me a desecrator, sister-fucker or simply retarded. And all that's come out of the mouths of people who were at one time my friends. Even if society won't recognise us, we exist and there are more of us than you think." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. I had sex with my brother and I don 't feel guilty... 
  2. Why is my sister so hot?
  3. Incest a 'fundamental right', German committee says...
  4. Husband and wife in Brazil discover they are brother and sister...
  5. Pregnant bride discovers lover is ... her brother.
  6. Parents in Norway jailed for incest...
  7. Don't wish to date your relatives in Iceland? There's an app for that...
  8. Icelanders, genealogy and the incest dilemma...
  9. Australia incest case shocks country...

No comments:

Post a Comment