Thursday, December 10, 2015

I hate voting more than I hate the National Front...

It was the combination of patriotism and sheer boredom while waiting for a takeaway delivery last night that pushed me to switch on my TV, to find that the far-right National Front party got approximately 30 percent of the national vote during the opening round of the 2015 French regional elections.

I hate these people. But there's something I hate even more: voting. This is why on Sunday I stayed home watching an average TV show instead of going to a polling station. I know what I've just written has probably already given some of you a heart attack. You're probably the kind of person who separates your rubbish and grasses. But like many French citizens, I don't vote. And it's a considered decision.

I did start out voting. The first time was in 2007, when the excitement that I was doing something new exceeded the meaningful, or meaningless, value of the act itself. It's like the first time you do anything – you go through several phases. First, you tell yourself it must be something cool since everybody is talking about it. Then you ask yourself why you're waiting in line with a slip of paper. Finally, you decide there are better things to be doing. At the time, I didn't know much about politics. My attentions were limited strictly to chasing members of the opposite sex and Counter Strike 1.6.

Then, the elections were over. The candidate I'd gone to all that effort to vote for lost, and life went on for him and for me. Five years later there were still really poor people, really rich people and, in the middle, many average people like me. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Millions of our votes won't count - Democracy is a sham, and it's time to change it...
  2. Working class and youth see UK democracy ‘rigged in favor of the powerful’
  3. The phoney election: Bogus rallies, photo stunts, vacuous sound bites, and the Press...
  4. If we don't vote for any of them, they might just go away...
  5. Young voters shunning major political parties as 70% say they wouldn't vote...
  6. Vote all you want, the secret government won’t change...
  7. Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush: Corrupt successors to the same old dynasties...
  8. Democracy in the United States is a ‘hollow myth’

No comments:

Post a Comment