Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Is Singapore a racist country?

Often in the lift that deposits me on my flat’s floor, I am quizzed by curious neighbours and their ilk on my Singaporean-ness.

“Where are you from girl?” “Singapore” “Then your mother? India lah?”

“No. Singapore. You?”

“I’m Singaporean lah.”

The perpetrators of these questions are usually Chinese.

They are polite, often friendly exchanges but unfortunately they belie a persistent and pervasive Chinese chauvinism that, too often, underlies this nation. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Singapore's Little India riot a shock but not a total surprise...
  2. A Filipino state of mind...
  3. Soccer: Singapore race row after "monkey" taunts at black player...
  4. Racial discrimination pervasive in Singapore rental market ...
  5. 3 youths arrested in Singapore for racist Facebook remarks about Indians...

No comments:

Post a Comment