Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The philosopher who studies the experience of coffee...

It’s like I’m drinking the dying embers of a log-fire – smoky and tinged with the tang of creosote. As I concentrate harder, I notice its smooth, viscous texture that seems to mask a sharper undertone – like a blade cloaked in velvet.

I’ve never paid so much attention to a cup of coffee in my life. I’m not sure I’ve grasped its secrets just yet. But if I do, I’m told it might just offer me a glimpse of some of the big questions in life.

My guide on this journey is David Berman at Trinity College Dublin – a philosopher who has spent many hours studying the intricacies of the mind’s inner working and the senses. Now he’s turned his attention to his favourite drink, and the profound answers that might be lurking at the bottom of our coffee cup. The result will be a new book, The Philosophy of Coffee-tasting.

Armed with a strong Americano – and an open mind – I ask him to lead me through some of his thoughts. The conversation that follows will explore the values of introspection and why coffee and tea drinkers are fundamentally different people. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Healthy caffeine: Study proves coffee can ward off breast cancer...
  2. Your brain on coffee...
  3. The true cost of your morning coffee is ignored by Europe’s politicians...
  4. Man buys 500 coffees for customers in Canada...
  5. Ladies, stop drinking coffee!! It reduces your breast size!!!
  6. Curry spice turmeric 'could help brain heal itself'
  7. The man who defied odds, turned down chemotherapy and drugs and outlived.

No comments:

Post a Comment