Sunday, November 23, 2014

Making child's play out of banking in India...

A pioneering Indian bank is teaching the impoverished children of an overcrowded Muslim neighbourhood in Ahmedabad how to save for a crisis.

Sarjan Bank bank at Sankalit Nagar in the neglected western neighbourhood of Juhapura is proving highly popular with local pre-teens - who are also helping to run it.

Operated by a non-profit organisation, the bank has provided families that have fallen on hard times or been victims of the city’s periodic bouts of inter-communal violence a lifeline - literally.

"The other day, my teacher told me that I could use the money in my account in case my mother needs medicines when she is ill," says little Zia Mirza, whose father is a rickshaw driver.

"And a month later, it happened! My mother fell ill and wanted medicines and my father didn’t have any cash. So, I came here and withdrew Rs 200 ($3.25)," says the nine-year-old with an accomplished smile. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. The man who taught Indian villagers how to deal with money...
  2. India's Narendra Modi to launch bank accounts for every household...
  3. Town in India has doorless houses and lockless bank!!!
  4. Millions of rupee notes in Indian bank eaten by termites!!!
  5. Laxmi Das, the Indian beggar who has opened a bank account. Wow!
  6. Indian administrative officer has more than 220 bank accounts!!!
  7. Human A.T.M. teaches rural India about banking...

No comments:

Post a Comment