Friday, November 29, 2013

What I learned by giving a homeless woman shelter in my home...

I never thought I would do a thing like this. We generally have a bad perception of homeless people. I’ve had my fair share throughout the US, Canada, India and Europe. From drunken abusive yelling, following me several blocks and asking me for drugs and to people with missing fingers and teeth tapping my driver’s window surrounding the car. I generally don’t give money to panhandlers anymore after some have rejected food from me when standing in front of a burger joint. I only give money to people selling Real Change and homeless shelters.

To keep her anonymity, I’ll refer to her as Emerald. I met Emerald near a local coop coffee shop, after some friendly conversation I found that she was homeless and needed a place to stay for the night. She had been sleeping at her friend’s storage shelter’s cold concrete floor since she couldn’t sleep in her beat-up car comfortably in the winter.

I agreed to let her stay.

You are probably yelling at me in your head, “what the hell were you thinking? aren't you afraid you’re going to get stabbed / robbed / raped / [insert your nightmare here]?”  (That was the reaction of some of the few people I told) Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Catholic priest's astonishing attack on the homeless and the poor...
  2. The tunnel people that live under the streets of America...
  3. The Tunnel People of Las Vegas...
  4. City of Angels? Homeless in Los Angeles abandoned by the State...
  5. Rico, a man living on the streets...
  6. One in 15 Americans now officially living in poverty...
  7. Heart-breaking pictures from New Jersey's homeless "Tent City..."
  8. Shelter: a look at the homeless in Manchester...

No comments:

Post a Comment