Friday, August 09, 2013

Snowden’s e-mail provider is closing, cannot legally say why...

The e-mail service used by National Security Agency (NSA) leaker Edward Snowden is suspending operations. And they can’t tell us why — although this cryptic post heavily suggests it has something to do with a government request for information:

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on — the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.


Lavabit was created by a group of Texas programmers who had concerns about privacy protections in Gmail. Snowden used their encrypted e-mail service, and the 6-week timeframe suggests that Snowden’s own account might be at issue. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Snowden's Asylum: 'It's the law, stupid'
  2. NSA scandal: New York Times editors support police state persecution...
  3. Barack Obama cancels meeting with Vladimir Putin over Snowden row...
  4. US slams Russia for giving 'propaganda platform' to Snowden...
  5. NSA director booed during ‘unconvincing’ hacker conference speech...
  6. Letter to Obama from Edward Snowden's father...
  7. Swedish professor nominates Edward Snowden for the Nobel Peace Prize...

No comments:

Post a Comment