Monday, August 19, 2013

India: the story you never wanted to hear...

When people ask me about my experience studying abroad in India, I always face the same dilemma. How does one convey the contradiction that over the past few months has torn my life apart, and convey it in a single succinct sentence? “India was wonderful," I go with, "but extremely dangerous for women.” Part of me dreads the follow-up questions, and part of me hopes for more. I'm torn between believing in the efficacy of truth, and being wary of how much truth people want.

Because, how do I describe my three months in the University of Chicago Indian civilizations program when it was half dream, half nightmare? Which half do I give?

Do I tell them about our first night in the city of Pune, when we danced in the Ganesha festival, and leave it at that? Or do I go on and tell them how the festival actually stopped when the American women started dancing, so that we looked around to see a circle of men filming our every move?

Do I tell them about bargaining at the bazaar for beautiful saris costing a few dollars a piece, and not mention the men who stood watching us, who would push by us, clawing at our breasts and groins? Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Foreign tourists hire bodyguards on visit to India...
  2. India study says sex attacks scared off tourists...
  3. Female tourists shun India after rape attack...
  4. Rape cases are making tourists wary of visiting India...
  5. American woman gang-raped in India...
  6. Seven unidentified men gangrape Swiss woman in India...
  7. Attacks grow fears India is not safe for women travellers...
  8. Schoolgirl in Guwahati, India stripped and molested by 20 scumbags 

No comments:

Post a Comment