Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Why are Indian women being attacked on social media?

What does a top woman journalist do when she is threatened regularly with gang rape and stripping on Twitter?

And what about when her teenage daughter's name and details of her class and school are tweeted too?

"It was very disturbing. I didn't know what to do. So for a few days I had her picked up and dropped off to school in our car and not via public transport, because I was really scared," says Sagarika Ghose, a well-known face of Indian television news, who anchors prime-time bulletins on CNN-IBN and writes for a leading newspaper.

On Twitter, she has more than 177,000 followers.

"Targeting me for my journalism is fine. But when it is sexist and foul-mouthed abuse which insults my gender identity I get incredibly angry. In the beginning I used to retaliate, but that would lead to more abuse."

Ms Ghose says women abused on Twitter in India tend to to be "liberal and secular".

"The abusers are right wing nationalists, angry at women speaking their mind. They have even coined a term for us - 'sickular'." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Why is India so bad for women?
  2. 'Men have gone totally berserk'
  3. Women form special cab service in Delhi...
  4. Posters in Indian city threaten acid attack on women wearing jeans...
  5. Women are banned from visiting iconic Indian shrine as its female pilgrims...

No comments:

Post a Comment