Friday, March 01, 2013

The silent nightmare of domestic violence in Russia...

Anya has a lot on her mind. In a small, sparsely-furnished room, she is trying to get her two boys, aged four and seven, to take their afternoon nap.

It is not the easiest of tasks at the best of times, and is even more difficult in her temporary home - a room in a shelter for women victims of domestic violence.

I was really tired, but he wouldn't let me sleep. I told him to stop, and that's when he started beating me.”
Anya

Her story is typical. During her seven-year marriage, she was frequently beaten or verbally abused.

She lived in fear, not knowing where to seek help. When at last she decided to lodge a complaint with the police, several years ago, she was told little could be done about her husband as "it was his home".

"It's been a nightmare, but a silent one," she says.

"For a while, I couldn't leave my children alone, and couldn't go to the hospital to report my injuries. Then I was waiting for the children to grow up, so they could confirm to the police what had been happening. Then I started to make recordings, I taped what was going on.

"But it's no use. The police don't want to deal with it. Once, a policewoman came in and said: 'Why don't you just run away like I did?' So even policewomen have to deal with this…" Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Nearly 1,000 Pakistan women ‘killed for honour’ in 2011...
  2. The world's most dangerous countries for women in pictures...
  3. Women go 'missing' by the millions...
  4. Eight women in Italy pay the ultimate price for breaking off with their partners...
  5. Judge in Bangalore tells battered woman to stop whining about violent husband!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment