Tuesday, March 05, 2013

India: Irom Sharmila explains her hunger strike...

An Indian woman who has been on hunger strike for more than 12 years has told Sky News she will continue her protest despite being charged with attempting to commit suicide.

Irom Sharmila started her fast after she witnessed the killing of a group of civilians by Indian paramilitary forces in Manipur in November 2000.

The 40-year-old says she will never end her hunger strike unless the Indian government repeals a controversial piece of legislation called the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).

She told Sky News: "I am a democratic citizen. I am a simple non-violent woman who wants a simple normal life."

 "I am so determined to my cause. My struggle is very needed - whether it is difficult or easy does not matter." Full story...

Related posts:
  1. I love life, says Manipur's Irom Sharmila on her 12-year fast...
  2. "The Iron Lady of Manipur" Irom Sharmila's 12-year fast in India gets into...
  3. Irom Sharmila and Manipur: a long battle against Indian 'army impunity'
  4. Irom Sharmila:11-year hunger strike against military violence largely ignored...
  5. My hero: Irom Chanu Sharmila...
  6. Anna Hazare fasted for four days and got results, but Irom Sharmila ..
  7. Arundhati Roy: I'd rather not be Anna... 
  8. India's Irom Sharmila has been on hunger strike for 10 years but is largely ignored...

No comments:

Post a Comment