Monday, March 04, 2013

I love life, says Manipur's Irom Sharmila on her 12-year fast...

(...)

Amid protest outside the court premises, Ms Chanu appeared before the judge and said, "I do not want to commit suicide.

Mine is only a non-violent protest. It is my demand to live as a human being."

She also told the court, "I love life. I do not want to take my life but I want justice and peace".

The magistrate, however, told her that she has been accused of attempting to commit suicide and prima facie the charge is there against her.

On being asked by the court "Do you plead guilty?" Ms Chanu said no and claimed trial. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. "The Iron Lady of Manipur" Irom Sharmila's 12-year fast in India gets into...
  2. Irom Sharmila and Manipur: a long battle against Indian 'army impunity'
  3. Irom Sharmila:11-year hunger strike against military violence largely ignored...
  4. My hero: Irom Chanu Sharmila...
  5. Anna Hazare fasted for four days and got results, but Irom Sharmila ..
  6. Arundhati Roy: I'd rather not be Anna... 
  7. India's Irom Sharmila has been on hunger strike for 10 years but is largely ignored...
  8. How remote Indian state of Manipur uses rock music against mainstream Indian culture...

No comments:

Post a Comment