Thursday, March 14, 2013

American university students work too much – at jobs, not school...

Upon my arrival in the states from Britain, one of the first conversations I had with my roommate was about sleep. I stated that I tend to go to bed around midnight no matter what, even if I don't have classes the next day until the afternoon.

"You'll soon learn to live without sleep, being an American college student," my roommate said. I thought he was joking.

My roommate often talks about how exhausted he is. He isn't alone. Each year, thousands of American college students report to health centres because of exhaustion, yet only recently have the true effects of poor sleep on young adults been documented. The health centre nurses at my US university look at you sympathetically, then prescribe sleeping pills. These, of course, don't actually solve the problem, they just make it worse.

The real reason why US college students are so tired is because they put work before just about everything, including their studies. They take fifteen or eighteen credit hours per week and hold a campus job and maybe an internship on top of that. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. The student debt loan bubble is creating millions of modern day slaves...
  2. The ones we've lost: student loan debt suicides in the US...
  3. Grieving father struggles to repay dead son's massive student loans...
  4. American students now owe a trillion dollars in loan debt....
  5. 20 reasons why young Americans are mad as hell and are giving up...
  6. The American people are angry...
  7. 8 reasons why young Americans don't fight back...
  8. English students turning to prostitution to fund studies...

No comments:

Post a Comment