Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The hurt of militarized authoritarianism in Singapore, Afghanistan and the world...

It’s hard for me, an ordinary citizen of Singapore, a medical doctor engaged in social enterprise work in Afghanistan and a human being wishing for a better world, to write this from Kabul.

But people are dying.

And children and women are feeling hopeless.

“What’s the point in telling you our stories?” asked Freba, one of the seamstresses working with the Afghan Peace Volunteers to set up a tailoring co-operative for Afghan women. “Does anyone hear? Does anyone believe us?”

Silently within, I answered Freba with shame,” You’re right. No one is listening.”

So, I write this in protest against my government’s presence in the humanitarian and war tragedy of Afghanistan, as a way to lend my voice to Freba and all my Afghan friends.

I do so in dissent, against the global security of imprisoned minds.

I thought, “If no one listens as humans should, we should at least speak like free men and women.” Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Singapore doctor denied US visa to collect peace award...
  2. Singapore armed forces medical team in Afghanistan...
  3. "I don't know what I'm defending anymore", Singapore student tells minister...
  4. Exposed: 'Auschwitz-like' US death camp hospital in Kabul...
  5. A 48-year-old Afghan citizen dies at Guantanamo after 9 years in a cage...
  6. The children killed by America's drones...
  7. Women, children among 18 Afghans dead in NATO wedding strike...
  8. Twelve children killed in another US massacre in Afghanistan...

No comments:

Post a Comment