Sunday, January 27, 2013

The dark web stole my life...

Last week, I picked up an evening paper and read that I was stuck in the Philippines without money after being attacked by ‘unknown gunmen’. As I was standing under a large London Underground sign on my way out to dinner with friends, I was reasonably confident the report wasn’t true.

But I did have an uneasy sense of losing grip on reality. That morning had begun with an unsettling phone call from a cousin in Jersey. A retired Army officer, he informed me that I had been hacked. He had received an email from my address, which told the same sorry tale of armed robbery in Manila.

The email went on to ask for money: ‘Presently having problems sorting out our bills here and also getting a cab down to the airport . . . ’ wrote my alter ego. ‘Wondering if you can help us get a quick loan to sort out our bills and get back home. All we need is 2,350.00 USD.’

I was heading to an appointment and decided it could wait. But I underestimated how fast these hackers from the ‘dark web’ worked. Within minutes, my BlackBerry pinged into furious life with a flurry of texts and calls as the email spread through my address book. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. Ex-employee reveals Facebook's dark, sexist side...
  2. Deep web, the dark side of the internet...
  3. Is the Internet driving us mad?
  4. We can't live without the Internet, say 75% of UK youths...
  5. The dark side of Facebook...

No comments:

Post a Comment