Wednesday, November 07, 2012

I text, therefore I am...

I must reveal my newest math: The Idiocracy + Phone Devices = Dysfunctional Texting Idiocracy.

First, I want to express a few thoughts before I explain my equation. As folks may or may not know, I am no Luddite. I am a technology aficionado. I really do love portable computing devices, and that includes the use of text as a method of messaging. I use texting with friends because it can be a very convenient and useful tool. Most of my friends - but not all - are intelligent enough to understand the limitations of the tool. Text, in my world, is used as an instant-o-gram, a quickie message service, a "hello" tool, or even for winging fun and unusual sightings and/or comments every now and then. It’s a great way of staying in touch with the right thoughts or pictures, and at a time that is convenient for both the sender and receiver.

Most of my friends, however, understand that texting does not replace face time and real conversation. Texting negates eye contact, body language, and voice expression, which makes it far worse than the cell phone. Person-to-person contact, of course, is the ideal, even if it is extremely old-fashioned. A lot can be said about a conversation by looking at a person’s body language and eye contact. Where the phone loses that capacity, at least it offers the voice connection. With a phone call there is voice inflection allowing you to gauge the other person’s mood, sincerity, and tone. In comparison, texting is the wood outhouse of civilization and has become the building block of the Dysfunctional Idiocracy. Full story...

Related posts:
  1. LA restaurant offers 5% discount to diners who check in their cell-phones...
  2. Smartphone addictions killing conversation?
  3. Brain-dead teen, only capable of rolling eyes and texting, to be euthanized...
  4. Canadians using smartphones for everything ... except talking!!!
  5. She sends text messages ... even when she's sleeping!!!
  6. Is the Internet driving us mad?

No comments:

Post a Comment