Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Egypt voices: Sexual harassment...

Seven Egyptian women talk about their experience of sexual harassment on the streets of Cairo. It is an increasingly common problem, with a recent survey suggesting more than four out of five women have been sexually harassed, while nearly two-thirds of men admitted assaulting women.

NOHA WAGIH

Two guys got out of a car and walked towards me in an intimidating way. They started commenting on the way I look and the way I'm dressed.

POSY ABDOU

I get harassed 100 times a day. I tried everything to stop it but it doesn't stop. I wear loose clothes, I don't wear make up, I spend more than an hour in front of the mirror everyday thinking of ways to hide my body.

HODA GALLAL

Once I was waiting for the bus with my child and a car stopped, the guy waved his hand at me with a 20 pound note. It was unbelievable. Another time I was walking home and this guy unzipped his trousers in a car next to me.

Full story...

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment