Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pruthviraj Patil, India's Werewolf Boy, longs for a cure...




Hypertrichosis, also known as Werewolf Syndrome, is a rare genetic condition that has been plaguing Pruthviraj Patil since birth. Believed to be one of a mere 50 people in the world with the condition, Pruthviraj and his family have tried numerous treatments, but have had little luck. From homeopathy, to traditional Indian Ayurvedic remedies and even laser surgery, the Patil family has tried a lot, but the hair just keeps coming back. They are desperate to find a cure.

Pruthviraj says, “I would like to get the hair removed but even after laser treatment it grows back. The doctors don’t have any answers.” The hair is thick, matted and covers the boy’s face resulting in a lifetime of being stared at, bullied and harassed. “It is difficult when I venture outside of my hometown or where people don’t know me,” says the boy.
“Why did God do this to us?” asks his mother. “He looks so odd and wherever we go people throng to see him.” When he was born some villagers regarded him as a God, while other saw him as a supernatural creature or a bad omen.

Despite his appearance, Pruthviraj is a popular student at his school. “When I first went to school I used to get bullied and other children would laugh at me,” he says, “but now they treat me like normal. We all play cricket together and the hair doesn’t stop me running or catching the ball, so it is not a big problem.”

Vinay Saoji, a plastic surgeon, says the boy suffers from one of the rarest genetic conditions. “Hair nevus, where a person has patches of excess hair growth or hirsutism, is not uncommon. But hair persisting all over the body is very rare,” he explains. “Though I have seen such cases documented I have never come across anyone suffering from the condition until now.”

Source: Finditt News

See also:

2 comments:

  1. I am working at Michael Hoff Productions on a show for Animal Planet. I am currently in the process of building a story on the boy Pruthviraj Patil that you have written about. I would be interested in talking with you further about Pruthviraj and learning about your experience with and knowledge of him and his disorder. Feel free to contact me (Barry Walton) at your soonest convenience at: Bwalton@mhptv.com.

    Thank you for your time and interest,
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barry! Thanks for comment and request, but I am afraid I can't help you with your research as I merely linked to the article and am not its author. If you click on the source of the article, you could probably get more information about it and its author...

    ReplyDelete