Wednesday, February 13, 2008

MSG and Aspartame: one man's story ...

Since my teenage years I endured excruciating migraines, a type of headache called Cluster Headaches. These are also known as “suicide headaches” because the pain is so intense you want to kill yourself. On many occasions I went nearly delirious with pain and beat on my own head in a frustrated, impotent rage. My doctor told me he knew of a patient who tried to claw his own eye out because of the pain. Imagine an “ice cream headache” -- when you drink a very cold, icy drink too fast and have a searing pain for a few seconds. A cluster headache is many times worse than that, but it lasts several hours. For these headaches physicians prescribed opiates and also put me on a cousin of LSD known as Sansert (Methysergide maleate). This drug gives you hallucinogenic dreams. The doctor told me I had to take it. The dreams were really wild, a Technicolor acid trip every night. So my doctor basically prescribed a mild form of LSD to prevent my headaches. What the doctor didn’t realize was that cluster migraines are not caused by a lack of Sansert. Full story...

No comments:

Post a Comment